Distance: 2.5 miles | Hiking time: 1.5 hours | More info.
Kwaay Paay Peak Hike is a challenging hike with a quick ascent that takes you through a forest of manzanita trees, making it a fun and enjoyable experience. Wear sturdy hiking shoes and be ready for workout that will challenge your legs and lungs as you ascend to the summit. Keep in mind that it’s a relatively short hike, so you should have enough energy to appreciate the view from the summit.
The trailhead at the base of Kwaay Paay Peak is wide open and provides an unobstructed view to the summit. It soon transforms into a rugged path surrounded by Southern California chaparral and manzanita forests. Gradually the trail becomes more challenging, with loose rocks, ruts, and boulders to navigate. But don’t worry, there are several stairs placed along the trail to help you navigate the steep ascent.
Before you know it, you’ve reached the summit of Kwaay Paay Peak. Sit down for a snack or to catch your breath while you enjoy the view from the top.
Kwaay Paay Peak Trail Retrospective
Kwaay Paay Peak trail offered a fun and challenging hike, but it was a bit short for my liking.
I particularly enjoyed the hike through the manzanita forest and the dense chaparral that surrounded the trail. The stairs were a nice touch and I was thankful to have them as the steep grade makes navigating the loose rocks and gravel a bit difficult in places.
The summit experience was a little disappointing, however. While I appreciate the park’s efforts to protect the environment, the view from the summit was partially obstructed by a bright orange construction fence.
I believe the fence is in place to discourage adventurous hikers from venturing down the southwest face of the mountain. And the absence of a connecting trail was also a drawback of this hike for me. Connecting the trail to the Climber’s Loop Trail would be a nice addition and make the hike more enjoyable.
- Cowles Mountain Trail Hike: Rewarding Views are Worth the Challenge
- Pyles Peak Hike -There is Life Beyond Cowles Mountain
- South Fortuna Trail Hike to North & South Fortuna Peaks
- Take on the Mission Trails 5-Peak Challenge
- John Muir Trail Day 13 – Mt. Whitey Summit from Crabtree Meadows Past Guitar Lake - January 10, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 12 – Vidette Meadows Over Forester Pass to Crabtree Meadows. - January 9, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 11 – Lake Marjorie over Pinchot Pass and Glen Pass to Vidette Meadows. - January 8, 2017