South Fortuna Trail is best known for the wooden stairs that lead you up the final ascent to the summit, but there’s so much more to love about this trail. If you’re in search of a fun and diverse hike with an abundance of scenery and a few worthy challenges, then the hike to South Fortuna Peak will not disappoint. Oh, and did I mention that the views from the summit of South Fortuna Peak are spectacular?
Note: The hiking distance and time estimates are based on a round trip hike following the South Fortuna Trail route from the trailhead. There are a variety of options available for hiking out and back, so your actual distance and time may vary accordingly.
South Fortuna Peak trail info.
- Distance: 4.5 miles (round trip)
- Hiking time: 3 hours
- Type: Out and back
- Elevation gain: 1400’
- Difficulty: 6/10 (distance)
- Usage: Hiking, Trail running, Dogs allowed
- When to go: Spring, Fall, Winter
- Agency: Mission Trails Regional Park
Map & directions for South Fortuna Peak
More trails near South Fortuna Peak
- Cowles Mountain Trail Hike: Rewarding Views are Worth the Challenge
- Kwaay Paay Peak Hike: A Short, but Challenging Hike Through a Manzanita Forest to One of San Diego’s Highest Peaks
- Pyles Peak in Mission Trails – a Little Known Hidden Gem
- South Fortuna Trail Hike to North & South Fortuna Peaks
- Take on the Mission Trails 5-Peak Challenge
Additional links & resources
Photos of South Fortuna Peak
- John Muir Trail Day 13 – Mt. Whitey Summit from Crabtree Meadows Past Guitar Lake - January 10, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 12 – Vidette Meadows Over Forester Pass to Crabtree Meadows. - January 9, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 11 – Lake Marjorie over Pinchot Pass and Glen Pass to Vidette Meadows. - January 8, 2017