The Noble Canyon Trail is located in the beautiful Laguna Mountains. Known for its steep and rugged terrain, this trail is a favorite among hikers looking for a challenging and rewarding experience. The Penny Pines trailhead is located just off the Sunrise Highway. The hike may take between 5 and 8 hours to complete, depending on your route, pace and level of fitness.
If hiking the 13.9 mile loop, the trail offers a total elevation gain of 2852’, which makes it one of the more strenuous hikes in the area. The trail is suitable for a variety of activities, including hiking, trail running, mountain biking, and backpacking. The best times to go are spring, late fall, and winter, when the weather is cooler.
An Adventure Pass is required to park at the trailhead, and a backcountry camping permit is required if you plan to spend the night on the trail. These permits can be obtained from the Cleveland National Forest office or from various outdoor retailers in the area. With its challenging terrain, beautiful scenery, and variety of activities available, the Noble Canyon Trail is a must-see hiking destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking for adventure in the Laguna Mountains.
Noble Canyon Trail in the Laguna Mountains East of San Diego trail info.
- Distance: 10-14 miles (one way)
- Hiking time: 5-8 hours
- Type: Varies
- Elevation gain: 2852’
- Difficulty: 7/10 (distance, elevation gain)
- Usage: Hiking, Trail running, Mountain biking, Backpacking, Dogs allowed
- When to go: Spring, Fall, Winter
- Permits Required: Adventure pass, Backcountry camping
- Agency: Cleveland National Forest
Map & directions for Noble Canyon Trail in the Laguna Mountains East of San Diego
- Directions to trailhead (via Google Maps)
More trails near Noble Canyon Trail in the Laguna Mountains East of San Diego
- Cuyamaca Peak
- Garnet Peak Trail
- Horsethief Canyon Trail
- Middle Peak
- Pine Mountain Loop
- Stonewall Peak
Additional links & resources
- Noble Canyon Trail Report – HikingSDCounty.com
- Noble Canyon Trail hike descripytion – SanDiegoReader.com
Photos of Noble Canyon Trail in the Laguna Mountains East of San Diego
- John Muir Trail Day 13 – Mt. Whitey Summit from Crabtree Meadows Past Guitar Lake - January 10, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 12 – Vidette Meadows Over Forester Pass to Crabtree Meadows. - January 9, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 11 – Lake Marjorie over Pinchot Pass and Glen Pass to Vidette Meadows. - January 8, 2017
4 thoughts on “Noble Canyon Trail in the Laguna Mountains East of San Diego”
Nice pics and descriptions Rob. Do you have a gpx file that I can use to follow your route?!? I want to visit some of the areas you visited such as the flume, mining ruins and the old cabin… among other things.
We’re planning on doing this hike on Friday (11/11/16).
Thanks in advance.
Thanks, Randal! Just sent you a GPX via email. Have fun on your hike!
Awesome pics Robb!
Thanks a lot, David!