South Fortuna Trail is best known for the wooden stairs that lead you up the final ascent to the summit, but there’s so much more to love about this trail. If you’re in search of a fun and diverse hike with an abundance of scenery and a few worthy challenges, then the hike to South Fortuna Peak will not disappoint. Oh, and did I mention that the views from the summit of South Fortuna Peak are spectacular?
Note: The hiking distance and time estimates are based on a round trip hike following the South Fortuna Trail route from the trailhead. There are a variety of options available for hiking out and back, so your actual distance and time may vary accordingly.
South Fortuna Peak trail info.
- Distance: 4.5 miles (round trip)
- Hiking time: 3 hours
- Type: Out and back
- Elevation gain: 1400’
- Difficulty: 6/10 (distance)
- Usage: Hiking, Trail running, Dogs allowed
- When to go: Spring, Fall, Winter
- Agency: Mission Trails Regional Park
Map & directions for South Fortuna Peak
More trails near South Fortuna Peak
- Cowles Mountain Trail: San Diego’s 2nd Most Popular Hiking Trail, and the Highest Peak in the City
- Kwaay Paay Peak Trail Hike
- Pyles Peak Hike -There is Life Beyond Cowles Mountain
- South Fortuna Trail Hike to North & South Fortuna Peaks
- Take on the Mission Trails 5-Peak Challenge
Additional links & resources
Photos of South Fortuna Peak
Latest posts by Robb Keele (see all)
- John Muir Trail Day 5 – Past Donahue Pass to Red’s Meadow. 19.5 mile lake tour hike. - March 7, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 4 – Tuolomne Meadows over Donahue Pass. 16.4 mile shakedown hike. - March 2, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 3 – Sunrise Lakes to Tuolomne Meadows. 10.1 mile hike for hunger. - December 28, 2016