The “short trail” up Iron Mountain is a family friendly hike that will leave you invigorated and inspired. Get started early to beat the crowds, bring plenty of water, and you are certain to embark on a hike that you won’t soon forget.
Iron Mountain trail info.
- Distance: 6.4 miles (one way)
- Hiking time: 3.5 hours
- Type: Out and back
- Elevation gain: 1200’
- Difficulty: 6/10 (distance, elevation gain)
- Elevation: 2696’
- Rank on 100 peaks list: 81/100
- Usage: Hiking, Trail running, Mountain biking, Dogs allowed, Good for kids
- When to go: Spring, Fall, Winter
Map & directions for Iron Mountain
More trails near Iron Mountain
Additional links & resources
Photos of Iron Mountain
Robb is a native San Diegan and avid hiker, backpacker, picture taker and 52 Hike Challenger. He created Getgo Outdoors with the goal of giving back to the outdoor community and inspiring others to get outdoors.
Latest posts by Robb Keele (see all)
- John Muir Trail Day 5 – Past Donahue Pass to Red’s Meadow. 19.5 mile lake tour hike. - March 7, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 4 – Tuolomne Meadows over Donahue Pass. 16.4 mile shakedown hike. - March 2, 2017
- John Muir Trail Day 3 – Sunrise Lakes to Tuolomne Meadows. 10.1 mile hike for hunger. - December 28, 2016